Monday, February 8, 2010

That is seriously not cool..

English; regardless of what variety it is is widely spoken nowadays. Ability to speak English reflects one's particular background; either educationally or in terms of social background.the real deal in speaking english is to follow it's grammatical rule and the rest will be determine by your communication skills. i am myself is still a learner of english and i'm sure there are mistakes here and there in my language. however, that it is not my point for this particular entry. the reason why i decided to have my say on the usage of english is because i'm tired of listening to people altering english words into simpler form in order to make it sounds 'cool'. this happen most of the time in informal setting of conversation. it is common to hear people utter 'prezzie' from the original noun present(gift) and 'preggie' for pregnant but i was shocked to encounter 'grinny' for grin,  and 'homiey' for home. my question is, aren't the words grin, and home are simple enough??  why must we add extra letters of 'e' and 'i' at the end of the words?? after a long thought over the matter, i realized that most probable influence for such a tendency is too much exposure to the americans' way of speaking english.
the americans are well known for adding extra letters to names say for example johnny for john, robbie for rob, and many more. i believe that they alter names in order to set a friendlier environment but to me by having 'grinny' as in 'here's my grinny for you' to constitute 'here's my smile for you,'biggy' as in'i seriously live in a biggy house', and 'homiey' for 'i am at my homiey sweet home' are seriously not cool. not at all.


0 comments: